Unique Techniques

Quests involving researching, organization, or other tasks.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Research Quest Unique Techniques

Post by Sirithre »

Setting
You've been working on this pattern for several days now. It's not quite perfect yet, but you're definitely making progress. Obsessing over it won't help, though so you've stepped away determined to come back to it with a clear mind.

In the meantime you've been making some new friends within the guild, and they've resolved to drag you out to explore the town. You suppose it couldn't hurt to get a bit of fresh air, after all.

The group didn't really have a destination in mind. Just kind of exploring the artisan districts to get a feel for all the different styles and techniques in the area.

Eventually one of you notices a crowd gathering around something and decide to approach and find out what the commotion is about.

Nudging your way through the crowd you find a wall of notes and illustrations. Upon taking a closer look you realize they're all instructional in nature. Either describing a new way discovered to dye fabrics, or how to assemble a small trinket. Some are decorated in intricate embroideries, others are fairly plain.

Each of these instructions seem to be written differently. Different handwriting and writing styles. Some with detailed illustrations, others only vaguely describing their technique.

Asking someone nearby you learn that it's a tradition in town for travelers and locals alike to leave some of their crafting knowledge here to share with the masses. It's thought to bring them good luck or good fortune by contributing to this wall of inspiration.

This is exactly what you needed to finish your design. A purpose. You scan the wall, resolving to one day contribute a discovery of your own. Eventually you come across a small tutorial suitable for your pattern. Your design may need a few tweaks to fit the shape described, but now that you know what you're aiming for it won't take long to finally finish your draft.

Your Quest
Your side quest this time is to find a tutorial online for a cross stitch finishing technique.

The finishing technique should be new. TO YOU. Others will be posting tutorials as well, so there's bound to be some overlap, but try to find a unique tutorial. Even if it's just a different tutorial for the same type of finish someone else posted. There's more than enough out there for all of you to post something different. Trust us, we've looked.
  • It should be a *tutorial* aka, more or less walking you through how to do something, suggesting materials, etc. Not just a photo of a cool finish.
  • It could be a video tutorial, a blog post somewhere, or even a paid pattern. But you must link *directly* to the tutorial post. Not pinterest or google search or the home page of their blog.
  • It does NOT have to be a cross stitch specific tutorial! However, it should be something that you could turn one of your cross stitches into. If you're stuck, try looking at sewing patterns. Or embroidery / needlepoint finishing tutorials.
  • It does not have to be in ENGLISH! As long as there are clear step by step photos, we can always run it through google translate and try our best. ;)
We're hoping this not only inspires you to try some new and fun finishes, but it may also help you with your pattern design quest as well! Sometimes envisioning how you want to finish a design will give you a general size and shape to aim for, and will get your creativity flowing.

Alternatively, if you've already made a pattern you could try to find a finishing technique that would fit your design!

Resources
We can't really give you a bunch of resources for this without just giving you a list of tutorials to pick from. You're mainly going to be googling things or searching on YouTube and we don't want to use up all the 'good ones' by giving a bunch of examples either. But here's a few as examples of different types of tutorials you might find:

Cross Stitch Tutorial - How to make a Biscornu
Video Tutorial - Cross Stitch Pendant Necklaces
Sewing Tutorial - How to Sew a Zippered Pouch (Actually the exact tutorial Siri used to make that Temmie pouch in the Undertale Cross Stitch book, which she sewed by hand)
Sewing Tutorial - Embroidered Pin Cushion (Could just as easily be done with cross stitch rather than patterned cotton)

Turn In
All done? Reply here with your tutorial link and why you chose it.

If you did this quest back in February 2020 on the discord feel free to re-submit the link you found then, a new one, or both!

Reward
SQ_R_Unique Techniques.png
SQ_R_Unique Techniques.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 5176 times
Once you've turned in your project, please wait patiently. A council member will assign you the appropriate item soon. :)
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Re: Unique Techniques

Post by Sirithre »

When this quest was first posted back in 2020 I found this simple guide for decorating a pocket mirror with embroidery.

https://www.craftpassion.com/antique-pocket-mirror-2/

I... then completely forgot about it until now, whoops. I should really revisit that idea though. Hmmm. :wink:
Lumidrell
Paladin
Paladin
LVL 4
Discord: Lumidrell

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Guild Quests

Post by Lumidrell »

Christmas Ornament tutorial from Focus on Finishing

One day I'll work up the motivation to do something different than finishing in a hoop and this seems easy enough.
ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 3
Discord: professorcactus

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle »

3D Cross Stitch Haunted House

One day.. one day I will make some crazy 3D thing in cross stitch. Until then, this looks like a nice beginner tutorial for a 3D cross stitch house
Saffron (Saff) Marbleblossom (she/they) the halfling wizard
adzpark
Fighter
Fighter
LVL 1
Discord: adzpark

Alignment

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by adzpark »

I've been looking for some fun ways to finish off some of my cross-stitch projects besides just framing them. I found a really cute throw pillow tutorial that I'm looking forward to trying out!
Mogrann
Barbarian
Barbarian
LVL 3

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Mogrann »

I have bought a pattern for making this off of a friend, so this was the perfect one to watch. They have given me a how to put together but I figure I can not have enough information

https://sirithre.com/biscornu-tutorial- ... n-cushion/

Mogrann
Skwishee
Druid
Druid
LVL 3
Discord: Skwishee

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Skwishee »

I've been really interested in the different hanging paraphernalia I've seen when shopping online, in the accessories side of different needle craft websites. So I found a tutorial with how to turn a cross stitch into a wall hanging!

https://hannahhandmakes.com/blogs/blog/ ... ch-banner/
Tonnau Arvodir - Circle of Beasts Enthusiast