Topsy Turvy

Quests involving stitching or design work.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Stitching Quest Topsy Turvy

Post by Sirithre »

Setting
The first whispers of spring are finally reaching Stitchwind, and you decide to take advantage of it. You wander the market, having discarded your heavy winter cloak.

The city is coming alive with the change of seasons too. Shops opened their doors, welcoming shoppers to view their wares.

You soon find yourself in a cute little second hand shop. Many of your fellow guild members have told you of treasures they’ve found in such shops. You figured you’d check it out for yourself.

As you browse the shelves, you come across a small, half finished project. You don’t know the story behind it, but you don’t have the heart to leave it behind half done.

You purchase the piece and return home.

As you settle down to get to work, you realize the original stitcher did their crosses differently to you. From your time with the guild, you knew switching it up would be obvious.

You know it won’t be easy, but you decide to change your style to ensure the consistency of the project.

Your Quest
Your quest this time is wide open to interpretation. You can stitch any pattern you desire. The only requirement is that you stitch your Xs differently than normal. This will probably slow you down, so pick something *small* to work on.

If you normally cross your stitches the same way, aka always the \ leg on top. Then do the opposite, and stitch the \ first and then /.

If you normally don't pay attention to the way you cross your stitches, try keeping them all uniform this time.

It sounds simple enough, right? You'll be surprised how much concentration it takes to break a habit. :wink: It should force you to slow down for a bit and really pay attention to each stitch. You might also be surprised at how differently the texture of a piece can seem just by switching the top stitch.

Turn In
All done? Reply here with a photo of your finished piece, and a sentence or two about what you learned from this exercise, or how easily you took to the change. If possible, please include a direct link to the pattern you used.

If you did this quest back in April 2020 on the discord feel free to re-submit the piece you did then, stitch a new one, or both!

Reward
MQ_NS_TopsyTurvy.png
MQ_NS_TopsyTurvy.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 3358 times
Once you've turned in your project, please wait patiently. A council member will assign you the appropriate item soon. :)
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Re: Topsy Turvy

Post by Sirithre »

Example! I did this back in 2020 for this Topsy Turvy quest.
Sirithre_TopsyTurvy.jpg
Sirithre_TopsyTurvy.jpg (129.59 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
....and that took twice as long as usual! I turned my topsy turvy egg into a needle minder.
I normally stitch / then \.
So I started with \ this time and my brain hurt by the end of it.

I did just a simple yoshi egg with the Cosmo 9016 rainbow variegated thread.
The pattern is free on my Ko-Fi :biggrin:
Lumidrell
Paladin
Paladin
LVL 4
Discord: Lumidrell

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Guild Quests

Post by Lumidrell »

PXL_20240519_154845009.jpg
PXL_20240519_154845009.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 2740 times
Fungi Book SAL by LivingOnTheRainbow

Not a finished piece (and will not be for several months because you know, SAL) but I'm working on the cover frame. I'm too lazy to try and rotate the PDF so I went the harder way of reversing my stitches (\ then / instead of / then \) so my stitches look the same as they normally do when I rotate it to fill in the covers.

It is going very Not Good. I keep slipping back into my normal stitches without realising. I've unpicked more stitches in the last week than I have in the last 6 months. At least it's satisfying the part of my brain that craves novelty.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

Lumidrell wrote: 21 May 2024 06:48 It is going very Not Good. I keep slipping back into my normal stitches without realising. I've unpicked more stitches in the last week than I have in the last 6 months. At least it's satisfying the part of my brain that craves novelty.
This is definitely the normal experience with swtiching up your habits :biggrin:
it truly messes with your brain! :mrgreen: But it definitely does keep things interesting.
ButterNugget
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 1
Discord: .chely.

Alignment

Main Quests

Player Quests

Post by ButterNugget »

For this quest I chose to do \ then / and I usually do the opposite.
I never realized how second nature it is to do it my usual way. Let's just say I frogged a LOT
But I did end up really liking this project. I even went back to my first cross stitches and realized that I actually used to do it this way!
So I guess in a way I went back to my roots and it was really refreshing!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/427279083405394599/
Attachments
PXL_20240609_210142221.jpg
PXL_20240609_210142221.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 2343 times
chely~
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

ButterNugget wrote: 14 Jun 2024 04:03 For this quest I chose to do \ then / and I usually do the opposite.
I never realized how second nature it is to do it my usual way. Let's just say I frogged a LOT
But I did end up really liking this project. I even went back to my first cross stitches and realized that I actually used to do it this way!
So I guess in a way I went back to my roots and it was really refreshing!
Oh that's a super cute stitch.
But yeah, it's wild how much your brain is on auto pilot during stitching. :biggrin:
Mogrann
Barbarian
Barbarian
LVL 3

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Mogrann »

Anyone who accomplishes this quest, I am in awe of you. Just the thought of doing this, sends my anxiety rising as I don't like change. I think I would be stitching one stitch and the next stitch would be frogged as I don't even think about where or how to do my stitches when stitching. Also patience for people who complete this would be amazing in my opinion.

Mogrann
Skwishee
Druid
Druid
LVL 3
Discord: Skwishee

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Skwishee »

I managed it! Stitching \ first. What threw me the most was moving the needle, the amount of times I'd move the needle to stitch in the normal position for / and catch myself. I had a reminder written on my pattern which I kept looking at to make sure I was stitching the right way! I also kept my half stitches going far longer than normal, just so I was less likely to go wrong.

It took two attempts, the first one, I didn't track my stitches properly and also concluded stitching on a scrap piece was a terrible idea, it was tricky to hold, tension was awful and probably why no one does it! Attempt two in a hoop and using a yellow pencil to track the stitches!

I made the pattern using this as reference for the Petite Pattern quest: https://www.deviantart.com/electryonemo ... -437664837
Attachments
IMG_20240629_210532.jpg
IMG_20240629_210532.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1961 times
Tonnau Arvodir - Circle of Beasts Enthusiast