Color Swap

Quests involving stitching or design work.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Stitching Quest Color Swap

Post by Sirithre »

Setting
It took a bit of time and stopping to ask for directions a few times to find your guild hall. You underestimated just how large the city can be. But you're finally here, staring blankly at the doors as you work up the courage to open them.

You finally push the doors open and step into a crowded entryway. People are hurrying off in various directions, most not even noticing your presence. The only person not running about is staring intently at a book on a podium directly in front of you.

As you approach the podium they look up and smile. "You look lost. How can I help you?" You state your intent to join and they merely nod and stare back down at their book. Moments pass and just as you're about to ask again, they look back up. "Well, I suppose it can't be helped. We'll need to see what we're working with though. You do have some ability already, right?" without waiting for your response they walk off towards a table near the back of the room. You're a bit confused, but decide to follow them over.

The table houses a large box full of random colorful thread in all states of disorganization and intertwined knots, a stack of basic white cloth neatly folded, some very dull looking scissors, a small pincushion with a single needle, and a large dusty tome. They gesture vaguely at the haphazard collection of materials and tells you to "Make something" before walking back to the podium.

You stare in disbelief at the strange person for a few moments, but they're already lost in their book again. You sigh, then get to work leafing through the tome. It's full of all sorts of small decorative patterns for you to pull from. You glance over at the box and realize that even if the right colors are in there, they're going to be a pain to find in the mess of tangled skeins and unlabeled bobbins. Grimacing, you decide to just wing it with whatever thread you can find.

Continue the story

Your Quest
Sometimes you simply don't have a particular color on hand. Other times you find the perfect pattern but wish it came in your favorite color. Or maybe it just clashes with your décor.

Whatever the case, it's good to get comfortable with changing out colors on a pattern. And it seems like a lot of people are afraid to do so. So let's break out of that comfort zone! That is your task this month!

Find a small freebie pattern, or a pattern you already have. (Or a pattern you want an excuse to buy, I guess). It doesn't have to be very large at all.

Now swap out the some of the colors for something other than what the designer suggests. You don’t have to swap every color, but it should be an obvious difference from the original pattern. Use the thread you have on hand from previous projects where possible!

Resources
Here's a few tutorials we've found on how to swap out colors on a cross stitch pattern. If you know of others, let us know!
Sirithre's Tutorial
Peacock & Fig's Tutorial (Includes a video)
Lord Libidan's Tutorial
Red Tansy's Tutorial

If you need some help picking colors, check out the side quest Color Theory for some fun thread palettes to get you started!

Turn In
All done? Reply here with a photo of your finished piece! When possible, please include a direct link to the pattern you used so we can see how different the colors are!

If you did this quest back in January 2020 on the discord feel free to re-submit the piece you did then, stitch a new one, or both!

Reward
MQ_NS_ColorSwap.png
MQ_NS_ColorSwap.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
Once you've turned in your project, please wait patiently. A council member will assign you the appropriate item soon. :)
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Re: Color Swap

Post by Sirithre »

Example! I originally stitched this in 2020 as part of this Color Swap quest when the RPG was still done mostly on the discord server.
Sirithre_ColorSwap.jpg
Sirithre_ColorSwap.jpg (87.33 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
It's a DureneJones freebie pattern. I didn't do a TON of color swapping here, but I did change out the reds in the original with some purples.

Stitched 2 over 1 (1 strand backstitch), 14 count white aida.
Lumidrell
Paladin
Paladin
LVL 4
Discord: Lumidrell

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Guild Quests

Post by Lumidrell »

Picsart_24-03-06_11-47-59-870.jpg
Picsart_24-03-06_11-47-59-870.jpg (5.92 MiB) Viewed 4734 times
Pokeball Donut by Melee Missy Stitchery (I got it from their Patreon and it doesn't appear to be on their Etsy)

I wanted to make a display for the needle minders I bought from them (this isn't even all of them) and I changed pretty much everything to fit the fabric better. Even changed the sprinkles to Sulky Glowy and painted the hoop with glow in the dark paint.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

Lumidrell wrote: 06 Mar 2024 03:59 Pokeball Donut by Melee Missy Stitchery (I got it from their Patreon and it doesn't appear to be on their Etsy)

I wanted to make a display for the needle minders I bought from them (this isn't even all of them) and I changed pretty much everything to fit the fabric better. Even changed the sprinkles to Sulky Glowy and painted the hoop with glow in the dark paint.
Oh wow that fabric is gorgeous! And the glowy is such a nice touch. xD Love this project!
Skwishee
Druid
Druid
LVL 3
Discord: Skwishee

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Skwishee »

I bought this pattern from Sirithre and had fun changing the colours to make the mermaid and fish look like characters from a certain franchise! :wink:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1224196 ... rn-mermaid
Attachments
Mermaid Biscornu.jpg
Mermaid Biscornu.jpg (308.41 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
Tonnau Arvodir - Circle of Beasts Enthusiast
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

Skwishee wrote: 23 Jun 2024 19:10 I bought this pattern from Sirithre and had fun changing the colours to make the mermaid and fish look like characters from a certain franchise! :wink:
Love how this turned out soo much! :surprised:
Mogrann
Barbarian
Barbarian
LVL 3

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Mogrann »

I am stitching this right now for my mom, she wants to gift it for Christmas to her pastor. I got her to pick out three colors she liked and she choose purples. Colors listed are all DMC.

https://www.joyfulexpressions.us/HTML/FreePatterns.html

Instead of 311, I am using 52
Instead of 312, I am using 208
Instead of 322, I am using 3836

This is a free pattern if you sign up for their newsletter, which I did.

Mogrann