Take Inventory

Quests involving researching, organization, or other tasks.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Upkeep Quest Take Inventory

Post by Sirithre »

Setting
Late one night, you have settled into your Guild’s library, working on your stitching studies. You stretch and smile, happy with the work that you had managed to get done. Realizing how late it has gotten, you start to pack away your things to retire for the evening. ‘Hey,’ you hear someone call from across the library. You look over and find one of your fellow guild mates smiling at you. ‘Do you happen to have some 550?’ they ask, holding up an empty bobbin. ‘I just ran out and I’m just about done with this piece.’ ‘Of course,’ you say, always willing to help a friend. ‘I’ll be right back.’ With your things, you return to your room.

You set aside your things before starting through your stash to find the thread. You are surprised to find three bobbins full of 550. You wonder how you ended up with so many before shrugging it off and bringing the thread to your thankful Guild mate. A few days pass and you return to your stitching space with some beads that’ll add the most perfect finishing touch to the project you have been working on. You gather together your things to start beading...and find the exact same beads already in your collection. You sigh in frustration.

Setting aside your project, you start going through your stash. Two bobbins of 996 and two extra skeins. No bobbins for your 3847, but three skeins found tucked away. And how in the world did you end up with so much 606?? ‘I guess it’s really time to take inventory of everything,’ you say to yourself, then set to work.

Your Quest
This side quest is a little more work than usual. But you'll get through it! Most people don't like taking inventory. We understand.

But it DOES help avoid buying duplicates or extra fabric. It can also give you an idea of what projects you have in progress, what you have queued up to start next, and so forth.

Basically, just find some free time to inventory part of your stash.

You have plenty of options. Already have a thread inventory? Don't have time for that right now? Tackle one of the other stash sections!

Options:
  • Go through and make a list of all the thread you have.
  • Take photos and note colors/brand/sizes of all your fabric.
  • Make a list of your WIPs/UFOs!
  • Make a list of patterns you have purchased (or got for free) that you eventually want to stitch.(Maybe don’t look at your wishlist though, that’s a deep dark rabbit hole.)
  • Inventory your bead collection.
  • Whatever else you feel you need a list of.
Chosen your category? Great! Now choose how you'd like to keep track.
Your inventory could take many forms:
  • Use a google spreadsheet.
  • Download an app like StashCache.
  • Make a trello board.
  • Use a website like Stitchingly.
  • An actual, physical, notebook!
  • Anything else, really. Share your organization ideas as well to help others decide!
This is NOT about whose stash is bigger or smaller. Try not to compare your stash to others! This is more about learning new ways to keep *track* of your stash and getting inspired by others' methods!

Resources
Inventory Tracking: Cross Stitch Patterns, WIPs, and Materials - Blog by Sirithre outlining her Inventory recommendations, as well as links to other inventory resources she's found.

Turn In
All done? Reply here with a trello/spreadsheet link (or just a screenshot), a photo of your notebook, or however you tracked your inventory.

If you did this quest back in May 2020 on the discord feel free to re-submit what you did then and tell is how it held up, or inventory a different part of your stash, or both!

Reward
SQ_U_TakeInventory.png
SQ_U_TakeInventory.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
Once you've turned in your project, please wait patiently. A council member will assign you the appropriate item soon. :)
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Re: Take Inventory

Post by Sirithre »

Example! Back when this quest was first posted, I was really into using Airtable to track my patterns. Well. The physical print ones and digital ones I paid for. For obvious reasons I did not include my own designs, or the 5GB of free patterns I've saved over the last 20 years.

https://airtable.com/shrrqaDB82xTkw4Au

However, I haven't really kept up with this. :confused:
Don't get me wrong, I definitely still use airtable for a lot of things!
I just... haven't found a lot of time to work on patterns by other designers. Mostly I'm just designing and stitching my own stuff for my shop. Soooo... not all that helpful.

My thread spreadsheet though tracking what colors I own in what brands? Still completely up to date. Probably.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Lumidrell
Paladin
Paladin
LVL 4
Discord: Lumidrell

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Guild Quests

Post by Lumidrell »

Screenshot_20230726-193752.png
Screenshot_20230726-193752.png (124.62 KiB) Viewed 8394 times
I use Thread Stash to track my thread and they allow custom lists so I'm using it to track my beads too.
ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 3
Discord: professorcactus

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle »

I also use airtable! I use it for everything stitchy. I have a table for DMC stash (how many bobbins, where are they, how many extra skeins), one for other specialty thread/bead stash, one for fabric stash, one for WIPs and their details (linking to the fabric stash), one for “DMC Need” where I can make a list of entries for all DMC colors needed for a project and it’ll link back to the stash table and tell me how many of the colors I don’t already have enough of. I thought I wouldn’t keep up with making sure to always mark new stash or marking the location of bobbins but I’ve been successful and now I can always find any color I already have super quickly.
IMG_8860.png
IMG_8860.png (182.11 KiB) Viewed 8366 times
Saffron (Saff) Marbleblossom (she/they) the halfling wizard
adzpark
Fighter
Fighter
LVL 1
Discord: adzpark

Alignment

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by adzpark »

I've been slowly expanding my DMC collection but I ran into the trouble of thinking I didn't have a thread colour when I had 3, so I knew I needed to work on an inventory. I used Lord Libidan's free DMC thread inventory tracker. Turns out I have over 900 skeins...

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-18 004508.png
Screenshot 2023-09-18 004508.png (216.11 KiB) Viewed 8352 times
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

adzpark wrote: 17 Sep 2023 16:47 I've been slowly expanding my DMC collection but I ran into the trouble of thinking I didn't have a thread colour when I had 3, so I knew I needed to work on an inventory. I used Lord Libidan's free DMC thread inventory tracker. Turns out I have over 900 skeins...
That's a lot of skeins!!
adzpark
Fighter
Fighter
LVL 1
Discord: adzpark

Alignment

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by adzpark »

Sirithre wrote: 18 Sep 2023 07:54
adzpark wrote: 17 Sep 2023 16:47 I've been slowly expanding my DMC collection but I ran into the trouble of thinking I didn't have a thread colour when I had 3, so I knew I needed to work on an inventory. I used Lord Libidan's free DMC thread inventory tracker. Turns out I have over 900 skeins...
That's a lot of skeins!!
It is! I got lucky and managed to get a whole bunch of them for very cheap from people who were de-stashing around me. And that is just my DMC threads! I have some CXC as well from a friend but I haven't gotten around to doing inventory for them. I've been resisting getting other brands because I suspect I will end up wanting to get the entire collection..
Alannahold
Monk
Monk
LVL 4
Discord: Alannah#0636

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Guild Quests

Post by Alannahold »

I’ve been procrastinating paperwork so instead turned my productivity to fixing my thread stash today. All my threads have been recorded on my spreadsheet (I use the Lord Libidan one) and apart from two active projects in kit bags all threads are back in their proper spots in the box. I’ve still got a bag of threads to bobbins but thats a task for another day.
74D700D8-4511-412A-8E8E-5D21B1E202C4.jpeg
74D700D8-4511-412A-8E8E-5D21B1E202C4.jpeg (901.19 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 3
Discord: professorcactus

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle »

Alannahold wrote: 05 Nov 2023 08:45 I’ve been procrastinating paperwork so instead turned my productivity to fixing my thread stash today. All my threads have been recorded on my spreadsheet (I use the Lord Libidan one) and apart from two active projects in kit bags all threads are back in their proper spots in the box. I’ve still got a bag of threads to bobbins but thats a task for another day.

74D700D8-4511-412A-8E8E-5D21B1E202C4.jpeg
that 'after' pic is SO satisfying :biggrin:
Saffron (Saff) Marbleblossom (she/they) the halfling wizard