International Style

Quests involving researching, organization, or other tasks.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Research Quest International Style

Post by Sirithre »

Setting
You sit back and admire your progress on your dye job. You think that The Weaver would even be impressed, especially with how carefully you followed their safety instructions. Proud of your work so far, you know more patience is needed, so you decide to head out to avoid temptation.

You had heard about some traveling merchants visiting Stitchwind from some of your guild mates. They all seemed excited that the merchants were in the city, so you decide to check it out.

As you wander the market, you find a train of caravans lined up along one end. You see members from all the guilds gathered up and browsing the wares.

You join the crowd and are stuck in awe of the projects and patterns before you. Beautiful blends and complicated, yet stunning charts. Delicate backstitching. Unique finishes that you could never dream of.

You manage to peel your eyes away from the displays long enough to find one of your guild mates beside you.

“Where are these all from?” You ask.

She gives you a smile. “All around the world,” she says. “Every region has their own style or techniques, many very different from what we practice here in Stitchwind.”

You look back to all the beautiful projects before you, in amazement.

“Our library holds a lot of inspiration, if you know where to look,” she says. She tells you more about what to look for and with a thanks, you head back off to your guild, eager to see even more.

Continue the Story (Dragon)
Continue the Story (In Town)

Your Quest
This being an English speaking community, we see a lot of the same big popular designers that circle the English cross stitch community.

But there are plenty of non-english speaking designers out there making gorgeous patterns that we may want to stitch or can learn from their styles and incorporate into our own designs...

We've also noticed that countries also seem to have specific trends. Not just in culturally relevant subject matter, but just in how they go about designing patterns. For example, russian and ukranian designs frequently showcases those countries' penchant for elaborate backstitch and subtle gradients.

Your quest this week is to broaden your horizons and do some exploring in another country's cross stitch themes. Find a new designer that primarily posts on socials or has a website in another language. Could be traditional designs or more modern ones.

Share what it is about their style that stands out to you, or what styles you frequently saw while looking at designers from that country.

Resources
We can't really give you a bunch of resources for this without just giving you a list of artists to pick from. You're mainly going to be googling things or searching on social media. But to help, we've compiled a list of hashtags of "cross stitch" in another language. Search for these on social media or use it as keyword during your google search and see what you find!

#borduren (Dutch)
#ristpiste (Estonian)
#broderie (French)
#pointdecroix (French)
#kreuzstich (German)
#puntocroce (Italian)
#クロスステッチ (Japanese)
#십자수 (Korean)
#pontodecruz (Portugese)
#вышивкакрестиком (Russian)
#puntodecruz (Spanish)
#korsstygn (Swedish)
#etamin (Turkish)

Turn In
All done? Reply here with a link to your chosen designer's shop or social media. Let us know what stands out to you about their style and if you've seen these same trends in other designers from that country.

If you did this quest back in July 2020 on the discord feel free to re-submit the link you found then, a new one, or both!

Reward
SQ_R_InternationalStyle.png
SQ_R_InternationalStyle.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
Once you've turned in your project, please wait patiently. A council member will assign you the appropriate item soon. :)
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Re: International Style

Post by Sirithre »

I'm constantly blown away with how creative Japanese stitchers are with their finishing techniques.
From turning them into purses, elaborate 3D shadow boxes, or tiny stamp-shaped frames.

As an example, I wanted to highlight rikizou113 who made some 3D bento box straps, and they're amazingly cute!

Not to mention door frames, 3 pokemon, treasure chests, and so much more!
Lumidrell
Paladin
Paladin
LVL 4
Discord: Lumidrell

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Guild Quests

Post by Lumidrell »

nonstopnon on Instagram

Their designs are just so cute, especially the people. Also, they made a Frog and Toad cross stitch book.
Ophiuchus
Paladin
Paladin
LVL 1

Alignment

Side Quests

Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi! I'm Palestinian, and cross-stitch is a HUGE part of our cultural heritage. You can find Palestinian cross-stitch under the hashtags #tatreez or #تطريز_فلاحي in Arabic.
Here's an instagram with lots of cool patterns and motifs ~ https://www.instagram.com/tirazain.initiative/
Here are some more motifs ~ https://palestinianembroider.tripod.com/traditional.htm
adzpark
Fighter
Fighter
LVL 1
Discord: adzpark

Alignment

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by adzpark »

Love this quest!

I'm from SEAsia, and I've not really seen a lot of cross-stitch patterns specific to my region. I was delighted, however, to come across MiRuMakes, a Malaysian duo that designs patterns with motifs I am familiar with. For example, they have a Nyonya series, which showcases some classic Nyonya patterns that I grew up with (tiffins, the iconic "chicken" ceramic bowl).
Mogrann
Barbarian
Barbarian
LVL 3

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Mogrann »

I am Canadian and my husband is first generation Canadian, his parents came from The Netherlands. I picked Dutch cross stitch to look up and was surprised to find one that I found very cute :) I may have to purchase this one

https://irisborduurt-nl.translate.goog/ ... _tr_pto=sc
Mogrann
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

Mogrann wrote: 12 Jun 2024 17:44 I am Canadian and my husband is first generation Canadian, his parents came from The Netherlands. I picked Dutch cross stitch to look up and was surprised to find one that I found very cute :) I may have to purchase this one
oh that is super cute omg!