Stitchy Starts

Quests involving researching, organization, or other tasks.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Scavenger Quest Stitchy Starts

Post by Sirithre »

Setting
Every now and then, you have the opportunity to welcome a new guild member to the fold. Your favourite way to welcome newcomers is to share your oldest project. You find the first piece you ever completed, tucked away just where you left it. Examining the clumsy stitches, you smile at the memories – the first time you poked your finger with the needle, had to frog a project, gave up and tossed something aside in frustration, and the first time you finished a piece. Sharing these moments reminds you of where you started in your stitchy journey, and how far you’ve come.

Story next

Your Quest
Whether you’re new to cross stitch or a seasoned stitcher, find either your first or oldest stitchy project.
Reflect on where you started, and where you’re at now. Has it become easier? Have you learned new skills since then? Do you have some advice you would share with your past self or those new to cross stitch?

If you still have your project on-hand, snap a picture and share it with us! If not, but you still have an old photo that's fine too. Or just find the pattern/kit you started with online if you can! If not, describe it to us as best you can.

Turn In
All done? Reply here with a photo of your project. If possible, please include a direct link to the pattern you used.

If you did this quest back in July 2021 on the discord feel free to re-submit the piece you did then, a new one, or both!

Reward
SQ_F_StitchyStarts.png
SQ_F_StitchyStarts.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 6340 times
Once you've turned in your project, please wait patiently. A council member will assign you the appropriate item soon. :)
Alannahold
Monk
Monk
LVL 4
Discord: Alannah#0636

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Guild Quests

Re: Stitchy Starts

Post by Alannahold »

Example!

"Stitch starts
So I’ve got three answers to this quest. The first is the first stitch piece I got, I started it when I was 6ish and finally finished it when I was 24.
My first cross stitch piece was this sundae kit which I don’t still have the finished stitch from. I did it when I was 18 to relax from final exams.
Last I have the mermaid kit which is what got me into cross stitch properly, I got it after I finished the long stitch and didn’t know what to do with myself"
Lumidrell
Paladin
Paladin
LVL 4
Discord: Lumidrell

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Guild Quests

Post by Lumidrell »

Snapchat-1975222494.jpg
Snapchat-1975222494.jpg (541.09 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Pattern by hunnysHandmade

I just love a good Vine reference I guess.
I don't remember what I was searching for on Etsy that led to that listing but I was like, it's $3, materials are $20 at most, why not?

It's almost been 3 years and thousands of dollars spent, all from that one impulse decision. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 3
Discord: professorcactus

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle »

My first ever stitch started in April 2019 and finished October 2019. I got the sprite for the Windfish in Zelda: Link’s Awakening and put it into an online pattern generator. Only a handful of colors, full crosses (although I backstitched the outline to make it look like a clean pixel art), and plain white 16ct aida so a nice easy way to begin. I finished it at a time where I felt like I never finished anything. It’s the only hobby that’s stuck around for more than a few months.
A939290F-12BB-4824-8527-328FF57082B3.jpeg
A939290F-12BB-4824-8527-328FF57082B3.jpeg (203.1 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
Saffron (Saff) Marbleblossom (she/they) the halfling wizard
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

ClueOfTheBrokeNeedle wrote: 23 Aug 2023 08:15 My first ever stitch started in April 2019 and finished October 2019. I got the sprite for the Windfish in Zelda: Link’s Awakening and put it into an online pattern generator. Only a handful of colors, full crosses (although I backstitched the outline to make it look like a clean pixel art), and plain white 16ct aida so a nice easy way to begin. I finished it at a time where I felt like I never finished anything. It’s the only hobby that’s stuck around for more than a few months.
A939290F-12BB-4824-8527-328FF57082B3.jpeg
Ahhh!
Link's Awakening is my favorite zelda. :surprised:
I love that your first stitch was a windfish!
DevilAngelWolf27
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
LVL 1
Discord: devilangelwolf27

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by DevilAngelWolf27 »

ALTTP Towel 1.jpg
ALTTP Towel 1.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
ALTTP Towel 2.jpg
ALTTP Towel 2.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
I made this back in 2014. I remember my friend was having a kid and I knew he loved TLoZ:ALttP so I wanted to make him something at the time. I ended up picking up cross stitch to learn and made him a towel with some sprites on it that I put through an online pattern generator and went through the process of learning / making it. He told me about 2 years ago that they still have that little towel too, which honestly I was kind of surprised about since I knew it wasn't the best. Stitching is a lot easier now, and I normally work on higher thread counts due to my personal preferences to make them end up overall smaller since I like the look a lot. I've learned pin stitching which is amazing for starting and ending threads and how to lay my stitches down so they end up looking neater instead of twisted. My advise would probably be to take your time and enjoy the process. This isn't a craft that's easy to crank out a ton of big projects quickly, but it's extremely satisfying when you finally place that last stitch.
Mogrann
Barbarian
Barbarian
LVL 3

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Mogrann »

I live in Canada and back in the 1990s, I bought at Zellers(a store similar to Walmart) those small rectangle packages, that had the plastic frame, floss, pattern, needle, and how to make it. They were mainly Christmas ornaments. That year everyone got a Christmas ornament from me with the date on it as well. I taught myself as I did not know anyone who cross stitched. I was hooked from the first project I made. Over the years I have put it down as life got busy but during Covid picked it back up again

Mogrann
PumpkinTheOdd
Fighter
Fighter
LVL 1
Discord: jzsketch

Alignment

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by PumpkinTheOdd »

This was the first stitch I did after not stitching in near 2 decades after having learned stitch in childhood and picking it back up a few years ago. The pattern is Arranging the Sewing Kit from Ink Circles https://inkcircles.com/products/arrangi ... sewing-kit It was a good little pattern for easing back into the hobby, it's not my best work but I'm glad I made it, I still need find a way to finish it though.
ButternutTheEven
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 2
Discord: IndefinitelyIndigo

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by ButternutTheEven »

This is my first framed piece. I had stitched a few small practice things previous to this, but this is the first thing i wasn't upset at and I actually kept. I kinda designed it off of an art piece i never sourced, so i can't share it in good conscious for others to stitch. Sorry!
IRL: Indigo, they/them, Lawful Neutral.
IC: Nutty, he/him, Lawful Evil.
Knowledge is power.