Fantastic Familiars

Quests involving stitching or design work.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10
Discord: Sirithre

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Stitching Quest Fantastic Familiars

Post by Sirithre »

Setting

Magic Guild

The full moon has arrived, and you are ready to summon your familiar. You, your guild mates, and those who have chosen to participate from other guilds follow the standard preparations methodically. Each step is as important as the last and must be performed in order.

You bathe in a warm sea salt bath, dress in your robes, and go to the magical space the guild has cleansed in the gardens of the guild hall. Standing in a circle, you each hold a pink or white candle with a dash of your favourite oil. A guide goes to each member in the circle with their own lit candle and passes the flame onto your awaiting wick. As the candles burn, the guide distributes dried sage leaves to smudge the space.

Together, you recite the Familiar Summoning spell that you each have practised so diligently in the coming weeks. As the incantation comes to an end, you blow out your candles, place them in the grass at your feet, and return to your homes. In the night, you will be visited by your familiar…

Story Reference

Agility Guild & Melee Guild

Those who have decided to meditate and meet an animal companion venture into the forest at their own leisure. The process is slower and does not always produce results as quickly as a summoning ceremony. However, each of you has committed to the process. At each meditation session, you find a quiet, comfortable place among nature in your solitude. You sit or lie down, breathing deeply throughout your entire body. You observe your surroundings carefully, taking everything in that you can.

You imagine yourself walking along a path among the trees until you come to an ancient bridge. This is the bridge to the spirit realm. You take pause before crossing and set your intention to meet your animal companion. At this point, you know you only cross if you feel ready. If you see a creature appear across the bridge, you are ready and may proceed.

Scenario 1: If no creature appears, you end the session and return another day to repeat the process.

Scenario 2: If you see a creature appear in the distance, you cross the bridge and meet your animal companion. Greet it respectfully and thank it for appearing.

Story Reference

Your Quest
Many of us have furry partners that keep us company while we’re stitching, the quest this month is a tribute to their hard work.

For this quest, we want you to stitch an animal! It can be any animal it doesn’t have to be what your character would have or a standard pet, it doesn’t even have to be a standard animal, dragons and griffins are more than welcome.

You can choose a standalone critter or something that’s part of a larger work, whichever works for you.

Resources
There are plenty of free and paid cross stitch and pixel art pattern out there with animals. Have a look through the #free-patterns channel on discord or talk with your guild mates for suggestions.

Turn In
All done? Reply here with a photo of your finished piece, and a sentence or two about how its related to your class or why you picked it. When possible, please include a direct link to the pattern you used.

If you did this quest back in July 2021 on the discord feel free to re-submit the piece you did then, stitch a new one, or both!

Reward
MQ_NS_FantasticFamiliars.png
MQ_NS_FantasticFamiliars.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
Once you've turned in your project, please wait patiently. A council member will assign you the appropriate item soon. :)
Alannahold
Monk
Monk
LVL 4
Discord: Alannah#0636

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Guild Quests

Re: Fantastic Familiars

Post by Alannahold »

Example! I made this goose back in August 2021

"(Un)friendly familiar
HONK!! Stitched a horrible goose from Shitpost Samplers pattern Problems, 4 over 1, 10 ct plastic canvas"
FroodMadeIt
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
LVL 1

Alignment

Main Quests

Player Quests

Post by FroodMadeIt »

This was done in July 2021:

A quick stitch up from the Kind Thoughts cross stitch book
https://www.waterstones.com/book/80-cro ... 1601401328
Attachments
PXL_20210727_2126484312.jpg
PXL_20210727_2126484312.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3515 times
Lumidrell
Paladin
Paladin
LVL 4
Discord: Lumidrell

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Guild Quests

Post by Lumidrell »

TW: pet death

Picsart_24-03-21_17-17-22-439.jpg
Picsart_24-03-21_17-17-22-439.jpg (6.38 MiB) Viewed 1589 times
Custom pattern by XstitchbyAnna

My best friend was asked to take care of a family friend's elderly cat until she got settled in after moving states and could fly her over. She was only supposed to be there for a month but by April of 2020 there weren't any flights available so she ended up staying with us until January 2021.

I had met Tilly briefly before so it didn't take long for us to be the best of friends. She spent most of her time either on my lap or next to me and would sleep with me at night, purring the entire time. If it was breakfast or dinner time, or if I otherwise had food, she would tap me relentlessly. When I got into cross stitch in late 2020 she would lay on her blue blanket in my lap and occasionally try to eat the thread. She was my constant companion and I loved her so, so much.

Eventually flights started again and she went back to her owner, which killed me inside but the photos I got of her showed she was really happy so I could live with it. Sadly she passed away after a couple of years but she was a very old girl and lived a life where she was so loved and cared for and I'm grateful I got to be one of those people.

I found one of Tilly's old collars and tags from when her owner sent over a care package with replacements and a couple of brushes and toys and I knew what I had to do. She's now in my little stitching corner in my room, along with her blue blanket.
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

Lumidrell wrote: 12 Apr 2024 18:32 I found one of Tilly's old collars and tags from when her owner sent over a care package with replacements and a couple of brushes and toys and I knew what I had to do. She's now in my little stitching corner in my room, along with her blue blanket.
This is such a sweet finish. ;-;
Love the use of the collar for the hoop!
Skwishee
Druid
Druid
LVL 3
Discord: Skwishee

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Player Quests

Post by Skwishee »

I don't have any furry friends (just my goldfish), but in my sewing room I have a plushie Espeon that keeps me company! So this felt the most apt thing to cross stitch for the quest.
Attachments
20240707_142846.jpg
20240707_142846.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 498 times
Tonnau Arvodir - Circle of Beasts Enthusiast
Sirithre
Wizard
Wizard
LVL 10

Alignment

Main Quests

Side Quests

Post by Sirithre »

Skwishee wrote: 07 Jul 2024 13:45 I don't have any furry friends (just my goldfish), but in my sewing room I have a plushie Espeon that keeps me company! So this felt the most apt thing to cross stitch for the quest.
oh that's a perfect interpretation! :biggrin: I love it. And now want a friendly Espeon plush of my own. :wink: